During a recent client session, I found the inspiration to transform what was left of my recent orzo pasta salad into a stuffing for a healthier, vegan twist on stuffed peppers. The orzo looks similar to rice, a stuffed pepper staple, and I added in vegan sausage to the mix and topped the peppers with vegan cheese to make this a truly delicious yet nutritionally balanced treat.
Amazon links to products are provided throughout the article and in a list at the bottom. Links are to buy in bulk, which you may not necessarily want to do with the cheese, as I wouldn't recommend freezing, at least until I've tested it for myself. The sausages are freezable and would be safe to buy a large amount of. Defrost what you need for a day or two at a time in the fridge. Make pasta dishes with vegan sausage and meatballs, sausage parmesan, sausage with peppers and onions, sausage sandwiches, and more. Chao cheeses, I just realized, are Field Roast products as well. I am not surprised as they are all top quality in taste and choice of ingredients.
- 2 medium bell peppers; I used one orange and one yellow
- 2 cups Rainbow Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 vegan sausage; I used Field Roast Italian sausage
- 1 cup of your favorite vegan marinara sauce; I used Mezzetta Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onions
- 4 slices vegan cheese; I used Chao Creamy Original and Tomato Cayenne.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice both peppers in half long ways. Discard the insides, and set aside.
- Slice sausage in half long ways. Slice each half in half once more, and dice the four long strips.
- On medium high heat, sauté sausage until done and slightly crispy. Reduce heat.
- Add orzo salad to pan, and mix together.
- Add sauce to mixture, and continue to mix until sauce begins to boil. Turn off heat.
- Prepare peppers on a foil lined baking sheet. Fill peppers with mixture, and top with vegan cheese.
- Cover peppers with foil, and bake for ten minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake for another ten to fifteen minutes until peppers are tender.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy.
- Field Roast Italian Sausage
- Mezzetta Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onions marinara sauce
- Chao Creamy Original (vegan cheese)
- Chao Tomato Cayenne (vegan cheese)